Skip to main content

Subwoofer powered by Woopker D20

 I had an old unpowered subwoofer originally it plugged into the speaker output from my stereo. Inside the sub there was a filter circuit, it ran through an inductor and into the 2 internal subwoofer speakers. There were 2 outputs that went though an RC filter and to these two mini speakers that came with the subwoofer. The mini speakers went missing and I just plugged in the 2 mid-range speakers that came with the stereo. The problem with this is that the subwoofers filter was tuned for the tiny speakers. The sound coming out of was flat since most of the frequencies it was expecting had been filtered out. I wanted to run the mid ranges directly from the stereo, but I also wanted some bass. So, I decided to get a cheap amp and run the subwoofer from the subwoofer output in my stereo. I purchased the Wooper D20 from aliexpress.us since it was cheap and because it was panel mount, so I could wire it up to my sub and it would look like it was always a powered subwoofer. It had several features that I didn’t want, this post goes over my mods to the amp and my impressions of it.

Since I was just using it as an amp for my subwoofer, I just needed the line in I didn’t need the Bluetooth of the FM receiver, or the USB driver / SD card reader or the Mic mixer. All these features cam though the Amplifiers Bluetooth chip the HSC024B it’s an older mono version of the HSC025A.

 The bottom large circuit board has the switching power supply and the amplifier board. There are two smaller boards above that, the smallest just has the Mic inputs the other has the Bluetooth chip. I cut the power wire on the ribbon cable connecting the Bluetooth board to the amplifier board, it’s marked V on the amplifier board. I repurposed the led switch to switch power on and off to the Bluetooth board, in case I ever decided I wanted these features.

 

 Unfortunately, this disabled the line in input since all the inputs are going through the Bluetooth chip and it’s doing the input switching. To fix this I put a jumper wire from the input from the line in to the output from the amplifier, bypassing the Bluetooth chip.

There is only one wire since the circuit board bridges the left and the right signal. I made an adapter plate since the hole in my sub was slightly taller than the front panel of the amp. 

 
Then I connected the bass speaker output to the filter on my subwoofer.

The final result:

My thoughts about the Woofer D20 I like it, the sound is good enough and the power output is enough to power my sub. Some things to be aware of if you are thinking about purchasing one. It’s not stereo, it’s not 60 to 200 watts like advertised, it uses the CS3850 amplifier chip which can produce a maximum of 100 watts. I believe it was designed as a replacement board for a Bluetooth speaker with a single woofer and a small tweeter. But for my purposes it works if I turn the bass all the way up and the treble all the way down.

Comments

  1. Are the cats necessary for the build? I don't have cats but could borrow a neighbors if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cats are for quality assurance purposes, they are optional. If you do not have access to animals that enjoy low frequency sound, you can always request feedback from family and friends.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Force Phone View: Firefox Extension

If you’ve ever tried to browse the web in split-screen mode on a small laptop, you know the struggle. Most websites stubbornly cling to their "grid" or desktop layout, leaving you with tiny text and horizontally overflowing content. Force Phone View is a Firefox extension designed to fix exactly that. By tricking websites into thinking you're on a mobile device, it forces them to deliver a clean, column-based mobile layout that fits perfectly into narrow windows. Key Features Mobile Spoofing : Automatically sends an Android User-Agent to ensure the site delivers its mobile-optimized version. Width Constraint : Constrains the page viewport to 720 pixels , a width that reliably triggers column views instead of desktop grids. One-Tap Control : Toggle the effect on and off instantly using a simple button in the Firefox extension popup. Enhanced Readability : Perfect for researchers, students, or anyone multitasking in side...

FireFox User-Agent automatic switcher

This extension allows the user to spoof a user-agent on user selected pages. Simply enter the URL you would like to spoof the User-Agent on, select the desired user-agent and click the plus button to add the rule. Make sure the toggle at the top is set to enabled. If you are using this on a mobile browser and the site you are visiting still detects your browser as mobile you will have to enable the "privacy.resistFingerprinting" property in the mobile advanced configuration. Click on the extension icon from Firefox extensions and at the bottom click where it says "Copy Mobile Config URL" paste this into the Firefox address bar and then search for "privacy.resistFingerprinting"      With the user-agent spoofed as a desktop browser and "privacy.resistFingerprinting" set to true, mobile sites such as Reddit.com won't try and force you to install the mobile app to visit their page. On the desktop version of this extension there is a toggle to cha...

Arduino FM Radio Transmitter

This following is re-post of an article from my old blog from 2008: This is an FM radio transmitter I made using an arduino and a NS73M FM Transmitter. I got the idea from an article on hack a day, if you’re interested in building your own you should check out Mike Yancey's page he built the one that made it on hackaday.com and he does a very thorough job of documenting how all the components hook together. I was impressed by the level of finishing he was able to achieve on the housing; it looked like a commercial product. I wanted to see if I could achieve a similar result, it’s amazing what you can do with some simple hand tools. If your patient with the file, you can make perfectly square holes in aluminum.   On my implementation I omitted the de-bouncing circuit that he has connected to his rotary encoder, and I used a two-line display. Since I omitted the de-bouncing circuit, I couldn’t use the original rotary encoder library since that code uses a hardware interrupt a...